I was recently contacted by the Communications Director of ‘Support Tattoos and Piercings at Work’, or STAPAW for short. In their own words STAPAW is a Heal the World movement aimed at raising awareness about discrimination of piercings and tattoos in the workplace. STAPAW helps pierced and/or inked staff and bosses, as well as non-pierced and non-inked staff and bosses in the following ways:
- Change stereotypes.
- Encourage positive character and work ethic.
- Feature positive companies and employers.
- Feature hard working employees.
- Help employees who lose their job because of discrimination.
- Work with companies to change dress code and hiring policies.
- Educate employers on the negative effects of discrimination.
- Protect employers’ right of decision making.
- Promote community involvement with charities.
- Change perceptions, not by words, but by actions.
My goal for this blog is to help change stereotypes and perceptions. STAPAW takes it to the next level by reaching out to people affected by discrimination and working with companies to change policies. I encourage everyone to check out their website and get involved if possible. There are petitions to sign, opportunities to volunteer and contents to enter. Doing something as simple as sharing the link to their site is a help to the cause.